What sort of preparation should be done around the house to get it ready for an autumn real estate market?
1. Curb Appeal
First impressions are crucial. Many buyers will drive by your house first before calling their real estate agent to arrange an appointment. If they see an unkempt, poorly cared for property they just might keep driving.
- House numbers have to be easy to be see from the street.
- Check your exterior light fixtures if they are rusting or looking dated have them replaced.
- Turn on lights for evening and late in the day showings.
- The placement of a seasonal potted plant like a huge chrysanthemum near the front entry makes the right statement.
- The front entry door and railing should be freshly painted or in good repair.
- Buy a new door mat.
- The driveway should be free of debris and extra vehicles that you might own.
- Raking up leaves will ensure that your property does not appear neglected. Grass needs oxygen and sunlight for proper growth. Leaf removal will also ensure that garden pests will not find refuge in the decaying plant materials affecting the health of the next year's yard.
- The application of a fall fertilizer rich in nitrogen will help your yard recover from summer's stress and green it up nicely for presentation.
- Put small leaves you've raked to work by placing them into a compost box or directly into garden beds.
- While you are out in the yard get your hedges in shape and prune back dead and diseased branches
Once through the main entry this is what they should see:
- All interior lights on - spend the money on the electricity a dark, gloomy house impresses no one.
- Avoid bulbs with a cool colour spectrum - you want your house to glow.
- Clean and neat
- Windows shades up and curtains pulled back to maximize natural light.
- Poor views are still best shielded from sight.
- On chilly days, natural gas fireplaces should be on. As the buyer moves into this room, they will enjoy that extra warmth and the benefits of the fireplace will be demonstrated.
- Wood Fireplaces can be decorated either with candles or logs.
- I do not wish to recommend that wood fires be left unattended.
- Do not use scented candles many people have allergies
- Fresh baking smells from the kitchen can be made in a number of ways. A drop or two of vanilla extract on a stove burner is one of the easiest ways to achieve this, but, real baking can not be beat.
- Invest in some big fluffy towels and use them as a prop
- A new shower curtain is also a cheap upgrade
- Keep toilet lids down
- Make sure that all the bulbs in the light fixture are working and or proper wattage
Fall is one of the most beautiful seasons in the Chilliwack, Agassiz and Harrison Hot Spring communities of the Fraser Valley. Mountains surrounding our lovely valley turn to majestic colour as the days get shorter and temperatures drop.
Imagine living here.....
is an award winning full-time real estate specialist with 30 years of experience and hundreds of sales. Thinking of buying or selling real estate in the Fraser Cheam communities of Chilliwack, Agassiz or Harrison Hot Springs? Contact Steve (click here) of Royal LePage Wheeler Cheam Realty for experience, local knowledge and friendly service you’ll be happy you did.